Rugby World Cup: New Zealand police investigating death threats made to referees during 2023 tournament | Rugby Union News


New Zealand police are investigating alleged death threats made against referees involved the Rugby World Cup in France last year.

The acting director of the National Criminal Investigations Group, Detective Inspector Stuart Mills, confirmed on Friday three complaints have been received from World Rugby about death threats against referees and match officials allegedly made from New Zealand.

Police are investigating the alleged breaches of New Zealand’s Harmful Digital Communications Act and the offense of threatening to kill.

According to a World Rugby report, 21 verified social media accounts originating in New Zealand sent threats or abuse to match officials or players who had been involved in the World Cup.

Please use Chrome browser for a more accessible video player

Barnes told Sky Sports News the amount of social media abuse officials are receiving has reached a ‘different level’ in the last year

World Rugby said its forensic research analyst is working with police or enforcement authorities in Australia, South Africa, France, New Zealand and the United Kingdom to prosecute those responsible.

An Australian man already has been charged and is due to appear in court in coming days, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.

World Rugby said eight match officials and 49 players received online abuse during or after the World Cup.

Wayne Barnes, who officiated the World Cup final between South Africa and New Zealand on October 28 which was won 12-11 by South Africa, retired after the tournament citing threats and abuse towards himself and his wife.

Barnes’ fellow English referee Tom Foley, who was the Television Match Official in the final, said in December he had decided to step away from international officiating, citing online abuse as a major reason.



Source link

Share:

Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
LinkedIn
On Key

Related Posts

Scroll to Top